Notice: Undefined index: order_next_posts in /nas/content/live/gadgetmag/wp-content/plugins/smart-scroll-posts/smart-scroll-posts.php on line 194

Notice: Undefined index: post_link_target in /nas/content/live/gadgetmag/wp-content/plugins/smart-scroll-posts/smart-scroll-posts.php on line 195

Notice: Undefined index: posts_featured_size in /nas/content/live/gadgetmag/wp-content/plugins/smart-scroll-posts/smart-scroll-posts.php on line 196

Google refuse to fix Android bug

A bug that leaves more the half the world's Android users vulnerable to malicious attacks has been found, but Google isn't releasing a patch.

Security analyst Tod Beardsley has detected a bug in the WebView app that could open the door to hackers but Google isn’t addressing the situation because the operating system is too old.

The bug, which allows apps to look at webpages without the need to open a different app, only affects phones and tablets running Android 4.3 or earlier. Google’s response to Beardsley stated that it doesn’t develop patches for operating systems before Android 4.4 so will not be releasing a patch to close off the hole through which hackers can gain access to phones.

Only 40 per cent of Android users are on Android 4.4 or above so that leaves an incredible 60 per cent of users vulnerable to attacks if they use the WebView app. In its reply to Beardsley, Google said that they ‘welcome patches with the report for consideration. Other than notifying OEMs, we will not be able to take action on any report that is affecting versions before 4.4 that are not accompanied with a patch.’

This news comes just a day after Google released news of a bug in Windows 8.1, much to the anger of Microsoft which was on the verge of fixing it but just missed Google’s 90-day cut-off limit for fixing bugs they’ve found.

Are you worried that you’ve been affected? Comment and let us know. Meanwhile, pick up the latest issue of Android magazine, which gives you tips on how to secure your phone against malware.